STARTING YOUR OWN EDIBLE
Edible publishers are an outspoken group, well-respected in their communities and in the national food publishing landscape. Entrepreneurs at heart, Edible publishers are passionate food lovers: they live and eat in the communities they publish in, and have created a groundswell by looking at food through the lens of season and place.
Would you be interested in publishing an Edible in your community – and joining this unique group of people who are leading the conversation, and changing the way people buy, eat and think about food?
If so, please contact us. Tell us a little about yourself, and where you’d like to launch an Edible. Let us know the best way to contact you. Please include a brief note about your background and areas of interest regarding local foods, agriculture, and why you are interested in publishing with us.*
Here’s what happens next:
- We’ll send an email back to you immediately confirming receipt of your information and letting you know if the region you are interested in is available. We will include some preliminary information on our licensing model: a brief outline describing the costs involved with becoming an Edible publisher and a document describing who we (Edible Media) are, and how we work with publishers.
- If you think you’d like to move forward, we will set up a phone call with you to answer any initial questions you may have. At this point, we also discuss the optional services provided under our contract agreements.
- If we’ve piqued your interest, we will ask you to sign a non-disclosure agreement (NDA) so we can share proprietary information with you on our business model and the process of becoming an Edible publisher: revenue and distribution channels, concepts and ideas, financials, and other privileged company information. **
- Signing a licensing agreement: If you’ve made it through all of the above steps, have completed your due diligence, made a decision, and you meet the financial requirements – we would then proceed to the licensing agreement contract phase. Our agreement includes detailed and specific information regarding: timeline; costs; payment schedules; optional services provided; collateral and other materials provided; legal name, trademark, jurisdiction of magazine, etc.
- Once the final contract is negotiated and signed, the process of creating your first magazine begins! Prior to the launch of your first issue, you may attend an optional 3-day orientation where we will provide you with training to successfully launch your magazine. Additionally we offer promotional, collateral and other business support materials, launch of your web site, national branding and exposure under the Edible Feast umbrella, public relations and marketing assistance, and responsiveness to your ongoing needs. You also have access to the brain trust: our community of Edible publishers (who have all been in your shoes!) whose experience, knowledge, tips and tools – are now available to you.
Please note: This is a partial list of everything that actually occurs in each stage. It is helpful to keep in mind that the process of becoming an Edible publisher is an entrepreneurial venture, and, like buying any other business - it includes fees, contracts, legal documents and agreements, as well as a commitment of time, energy, and willingness to learn new skills to be successful. If you believe you have those ingredients and want to continue the process, please drop us a line!
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org – or simply fill in the information below.
Telephone: 866.825.6053, M-F, 9am-7pm, EST
Start your own Edible
*Your information will not be shared with anyone other than our immediate team, who use it only as a preliminary evaluation tool and to record contact information.
** We work together to walk you through the process, answer questions and support you while you complete your due diligence. Up to this stage of the process, you are under no obligation to follow through with becoming an Edible publisher. It is only AFTER a contract is signed (see #5), that you are obligated to fulfill the terms of the agreement.
To see an example of our existing magazines, click on the "Edible Publications" link.