- 2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
- 2 cups sourdough starter (see link to recipe below)
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 tablespoons lard or unsalted butter, chilled and cut into small pieces
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
Yields 3 dozen biscuits.
Get directions to make the sourdough starter.
1. Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease a 10-inch cast-iron skillet; set aside.
2. In a large bowl, mix together all ingredients, except the melted butter, until a soft dough forms.
3. Pinch off egg-size pieces and roll between palms to form balls. Place dough balls, touching, around the edge of the skillet in concentric circles until filled. Brush tops with melted butter. Set the skillet in a warm spot for 10 minutes to allow biscuits to rise.
4. Bake for 35 to 40 minutes, until golden brown. Serve immediately with butter and honey.
Excerpted from Bread by Mother Earth News: Our Favorite Recipes for Artisan Breads, Quick Breads, Buns, Rolls, Flatbreads, and More. By Mother Earth News. Edited by Karen K. Will. Voyageur Press, 2015.