- 1-1/2 to 2 lb. sweet potatoes, peeled, halved crosswise, and cut into 3/4-inch-thick wedges
- 2 Tbs. olive oil
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 Tbs. unsalted butter
- 1 medium-large tart green or red apple (a firm, tart Granny Smith apple or try a crisp, slightly sweeter Pink Lady), quartered, cored, cut into 16 wedges, wedges halved crosswise
- 1 Tbs. chopped fresh sage
- 1-1/2 tsp. fresh lemon juice
- 1 tsp. pure maple syrup
Position a rack in the top third of the oven and heat the oven to 475°F.
In a large bowl, toss the sweet potatoes with the oil, 1 tsp. salt, and a few grinds of black pepper. Spread the potatoes in a single layer on a large, rimmed baking sheet. Roast for 10 minutes; then flip the potatoes and continue roasting until tender and browned in spots, about 5 minutes more.
While the potatoes roast, heat the butter in a 12-inch skillet over medium-high heat until melted and beginning to brown, 1 to 2 minutes. Add the apples in a single layer and brown on both sides, 1 to 2 minutes per side. Add the sage and stir until wilted, about 30 seconds. Off the heat, stir in the lemon juice and maple syrup. With a spatula, scrape the apples and butter into the bowl used for tossing the potatoes.
When the potatoes are done, add them to the apples and gently combine with the spatula.
Season to taste with salt and pepper, and serve.
nutrition information (per serving):
Calories (kcal): 110; Fat (g): 6; Fat Calories (kcal): 60; Saturated Fat (g): 2.5; Protein (g): 1; Monounsaturated Fat (g): 3; Carbohydrates (g): 14; Polyunsaturated Fat (g): 0; Sodium (mg): 160; Cholesterol (mg): 10; Fiber (g): 2.