Pumpkin and Cannellini Bean Chili
- 1 31⁄2-pound sugar pumpkin (about 4 cups cooked pumpkin)
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil, plus more for rubbing pumpkin
- 1 onion, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 cups chopped tomatoes
- 3 cups cooked cannellini beans
- 2 cups water, plus more to thin as needed
- 2 teaspoons ground chile powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- freshly ground pepper
- ground cayenne or hot sauce
Preheat oven to 450°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
Cut pumpkin in half. Scoop out and discard seeds. Rub outside of pumpkin with olive oil and place halves cut-side down on baking sheet. Roast 40 minutes or until soft throughout. Remove from heat and set aside to cool.
In large Dutch oven over medium heat, sauté onion and garlic in olive oil for 3 minutes or until soft. Add tomatoes and cannellini beans and stir to combine. Scoop pumpkin out of its skin and add to pot. Add 2 cups water and stir to combine. Add chile powder, cumin, salt and pepper to taste.
Stir and simmer for 10 minutes. Season to taste with cayenne or hot sauce. Thin to desired consistency with water and simmer 20 minutes longer. Remove from heat and serve.
Recipe excerpted from Eat Clean Live Well, Copyright 2014, Terry Walters, Sterling Publishing Co., Inc.