Mashed Chickpea Sandwich
- 1 can (15 ounces, or 450 g) chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 2 tablespoons (30 ml) lemon juice
- 1 1/2 tablespoons (23 ml) extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons (23 g) roasted red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 tablespoon (10 g) finely chopped red onion
- 2 tablespoons (8 g) fresh parsley, chopped
- Salt and pepper
- 4 slices whole-grain bread
- Handful of fresh spinach, (optional)
In a medium bowl, using a fork, mash half of the chickpeas. Add in the remaining chickpeas, lemon juice, olive oil, bell pepper, onion, and parsley. Season with the salt and pepper to taste.
Spoon the mixture onto two slices of the bread, add spinach, if using, and close the sandwiches with the remaining slices of bread. Or eat it straight from the bowl with a few whole-grain crackers.
Yield: 2 servings