Maple-Balsamic Root Vegetable "Fries"
- 3 large carrots, peeled and cut into ¼-inch-thick sticks, 2 to 3 inches long
- 1 medium celery root, peeled and cut into ¼-inch-thick sticks, 2 to 3 inches long
- 2 medium parsnips, peeled and cut into ¼-inch-thick sticks, 2 to 3 inches long
- 2 medium golden beets, peeled, each cut into 8 wedges
- 5 sprigs fresh thyme
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon pure maple syrup
- 1/2 teaspoon balsamic vinegar
- Sea salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
4 to 6 servings
Set racks in the upper and lower thirds of the oven and preheat the oven to 425ºF. Line two rimmed baking sheets with parchment paper.In a large mixing bowl, combine the carrots, celery root, parsnips, beets, and thyme sprigs. Add the oil and mix to thoroughly coat the vegetables.
In a small mixing bowl, combine the maple syrup, vinegar, 1/2 teaspoon of salt, and 1/8 teaspoon of pepper; mix well. Pour the mixture on the vegetables and toss to coat.
Arrange the vegetables in single layers on the two baking sheets. Roast on separate racks for 20 minutes.
Remove them from the oven and, using a spatula, flip the vegetables. Return the sheets to the oven, switching their positions (upper rack and lower rack). Roast until the vegetables are light brown and caramelized, an additional
15 to 20 minutes.
Discard the thyme sprigs, season with salt and pepper, and serve.
Excerpted from The Pollan Family Table by Corky, Lori, Dana and Tracy Pollan. Published by Scribner, 2014.