- 1 750-ml. bottle red wine (mid-price Spanish red wine)
- 1/2 750-ml. bottle high-end tequila or rum
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 750-ml bottle chilled sparkling mineral water
- A handful of mint sprigs
- Fresh cherries, grapes, sliced apples, and orange wedges
Serves 4 to 6
Combine all of the ingredients except the mineral water, mint, and fruit together in a large pot and stir until the sugar is dissolved. Add the mint, and fruit, cover, and refrigerate for 1 to 2 hours to marinate the fruit. Add the mineral water just before serving.
Excerpted from My Life on a Plate by Kelis. Published by Kyle Books. Photography by David Loftus.