Eat It Up! – Broccoli Slaw
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon rice vinegar or white wine vinegar
- Pinch of granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 2 tablespoons neutral oil, such as organic canola
- Red pepper flakes (optional)
- Broccoli stalks from 1 bunch of broccoli, peeled, trimmed, and shredded or cut into matchsticks
- 2 carrots, shredded or cut into matchsticks
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh cilantro (optional)
- 2 tablespoons sesame seeds
In a large bowl, whisk the soy sauce, vinegar, and sugar until the sugar is dissolved.
Whisk in the oils and red pepper flakes, if using.
Add the broccoli and carrots and toss to combine.
Garnish with the cilantro, if using, and the sesame seeds.
About this recipe
"If you are new to using broccoli stalks, this is a great “gateway” recipe. The tender stalks add just enough crunch and their delicate flavor really lets the Asian dressing shine. If you have extra veg on hand – some radishes, daikon, cabbage, peppers – you can prep them in the same manner and throw them in as well. This slaw is happy to play. Can be made up to 2 hours ahead." -- Sherri Brooks Vinton, author of Eat It Up!