- 1/2 cup melted coconut oil, plus extra for greasing
- 3 cups blanched almond flour
- 1/4 cup coconut flour
- 3/4 cup raw cacao powder
- 1/4 cup raw coconut palm sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 cup full-fat coconut milk
- 3 large eggs, at room temperature
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons raw honey
- 2 (15-ounce) cans full-fat coconut milk, refrigerated
- 4 tablespoons maple syrup or coconut sugar
- 1/4 cup cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Pinch of sea salt
- Coconut flakes
- Mint leaves
- Strawberries, sliced
Makes one 6-inch cake
1. To make the cake: Preheat the oven to 350°F.
2. Grease the bottom and sides of a 6-inch springform cake pan with coconut oil.
3. In a large bowl, mix together the almond flour, coconut flour, cacao powder, coconut palm sugar, baking soda, and sea salt.
4. In a separate bowl, whisk together the coconut oil, coconut milk, eggs, vanilla, and honey.
5. Gently mix the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients.
6. Pour the batter into the prepared pan and bake until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean, 55 to 60 minutes.
7. Let the cake cool completely, then cut it horizontally in half.
8. To make the frosting: Spoon off only the cream from the cans of coconut milk.
9. Whisk it and the maple syrup or coconut sugar, cocoa powder, vanilla, and salt together until smooth. Refrigerate until you’re ready to frost and serve the cake.
10. Put the bottom layer of cake on a plate. Spread a layer of frosting on it. Top with the other half of the cake, finish frosting, and garnish.
Excerpted from Go With Your Gut: The Insider’s Guide to Banishing the Bloat with 75 Digestion-Friendly Recipes. By Robyn Youkilis. Photography by Ellen Silverman. Kyle Books, March 2016.