Cauliflower Cheese Soup
- 1 large head cauliflower, cut into chunks
- 4 cups water
- 1 small yellow onion, thinly sliced
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- ½ teaspoon salt, plus more to taste
- freshly ground black pepper, to taste
1. In a medium pot, combine the cauliflower, water, and onion and cook, covered, over medium heat until the cauliflower is tender, 20 to 30 minutes.
2. Let the soup cool, then place it in a blender with the cheese and ½ teaspoon salt and puree until smooth and creamy. Add more salt and pepper to taste.
Excerpted from What the Fork Are You Eating? An Action Plan for Your Pantry and Plate by Stefanie Sacks. © 2014 by Stefanie Sacks. Published by Jeremy P. Tarcher/Penguin, Penguin Group USA, A Penguin Random House Company.
About this recipe
Stefanie’s Notes: Pureeing warm soups can be a slight kitchen hazard. Take it from me. When pureeing anything hot, to avoid a food explosion, I place a clean dish towel between the top of the blender and its lid, pressing the top down hard with my hands as I let the motor rip. For some scientific reason, this keeps the soup safely in the blender. Feel free to try this technique with any other vegetable— who doesn’t love a silky soup? Store in the fridge for up to three days or freeze for up to three months.