Butternut Squash & Sweet Corn Casserole
- 1 (2-pound) butternut squash, peeled, seeds removed and discarded, cut into 1-inch cubes
- ½ yellow onion, diced
- 1 ear of corn or ½ cup frozen corn kernels
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- ¼ teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- ¼ cup pecans, lightly toasted and chopped
- 1 cup shredded Gruyère (about 4 ounces)
1. Position an oven rack in the center and preheat the oven to 350°F.
2. Combine all of the ingredients except the cheese in a large (9- • 13-inch) casserole dish. Cover the dish with aluminum foil and bake the casserole on the center rack for 30 minutes.
3. Remove the dish from the oven, lift off the foil, and sprinkle the top of the casserole with the cheese. Bake the casserole, uncovered, until the squash is fork-tender and the cheese is golden brown and melted, for about 30 minutes longer.
Excerpted from My Life on a Plate by Kelis. Published by Kyle Books. Photography by David Loftus.